Saturday 13 February 2016

Home Free


No ghosts from the past with sordid history
No skeletons in the closet or places to be
No chip on my shoulder, no monkey on my back
No muse in my head to blame for my lack

No dues owed to the Ferryman, no tiger by the tail
No need to pay the Piper, nothing beyond the Pale
No fear of the Reaper, no angst t’wards Old Man Time
No grief for anything that ever was mine

No bad dreams to falter or things I want to forget
No tears of dread to cry, there is no regret
No niggling doubts to ponder or trivial questions “Why?”
No unsettled dispute, no little white lie

No pressing appointments or points to prove
No soap-box to preach or stumbling block to move
No chain to bind me, no lock without key
No debt tying me down - I’m home free.

No magic trick, no sleight of hand,
No fancy foot-work, no shifting sand
No ace up my sleeve or joker in the pack
No magic wand or rabbit in a hat

No spin of the dice, no four leaf clover
No reason to look my shoulder over
No rabbit’s foot, no lucky charm
No hasty retreat from a rushing gendarme

No other agenda, no facade on my face
No rockets in my shoes to cheat in this race
Not counting the blow but turning the cheek
Not eager for fame but fervent for meek

No fear of flying, no terror of heights
But an awe of flame and a kin for lights
Facing the challenges, no fear of fear
Living my life as if my Saviour is near.

No baggage to carry, no millstone round neck
No run-away thoughts to be kept in check
No prison to hold , no handcuffs on me
No reason to stay - I’m home free.


MDC

12/4/96

1 comment: